Randeep Sarai
Randeep Sarai
Member of Parliament for Surrey Centre
Support for Individuals during COVID-19

We all need to do our part to help stop the spread of COVID-19. We are in this together and we will get through this together.

You can find all of the below information from the federal government at canada.ca/coronavirus  

To learn more about support available from the Province of British Columbia, please click here.

You can sign up for email updates from the Government of Canada to get the latest information about COVID-19. Click here to get email updates.

If you believe you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 you can take a self-assessment from Health Canada and follow the directions based on your results.


Find financial help during COVID-19

Click here, to answer 7 to 10 questions, about yourself - from your answers, you been shown a list of benefits that may help in your situation. It will also have links for more information.

More information can be found below about the COVID-19 support available to individuals.


Employment Insurance (EI) Program

We made temporary changes to the Employment Insurance (EI) program to better support Canadians who need financial assistance. As of September 27, 2020, the minimum benefit rate for EI regular claimants is $500 per week before taxes in most cases.

Apply to Employment Insurance

If you are not eligible for EI or if you've received the maximum number of weeks of EI regular benefits, you may be eligible for the new benefits:


  • If you've received this benefit in 2020, learn how to report it for your tax return.

You can also look for employment opportunities through the Job Bank.

The Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)

The CRB provides $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) per week for up to 38 weeks for workers who:

Apply to the Canada Recovery Benefit


The Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)

The CRSB provides $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) per week for up to a maximum of four weeks, for workers who:

Apply to the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit


The Canada Recovery Caregiver Benefit (CRCB)

The CRCB provides $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) for up to 38 weeks per household for workers:

  • unable to work for at least 50% of the week because they must care for a child under the age of 12 or family member because schools, day-cares or care facilities are closed due to COVID-19
  • because the child or family member is sick and/or required to quarantine or is at high risk of serious health implications because of COVID-19.

Apply to the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit



The Canada Child Benefit

The Canada Child Benefit young child supplement (CCBYCS) is providing temporary additional support in 2021 of up to $1,200 to families with children under the age of six.

You must be entitled to receive the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) in January, April, July or October 2021 to receive the CCBYCS.

If you already receive the CCB, you will not need to apply for this benefit.

Payment dates:

To sign up for CCB, click here.


Mortgage payment deferral 

Homeowners facing financial hardship may be eligible for a mortgage payment deferral of up to six months.

The deferral is an agreement between you and your lender. Typically, the agreement indicates that you and your lender have agreed to pause or suspend your mortgage payments for a certain amount of time. After the agreement ends, your mortgage payments return to normal and the deferred payments — including principal and accumulated interest – are added to the outstanding principal balance and subsequently repaid throughout the life of the mortgage.

To know if you are eligible for a mortgage payment deferral or to learn what options are available, contact your lender — your bank or your mortgage professional.

To learn more about mortgage payment deferral, click here


Post-secondary students and recent graduates

Helping Student Loan borrowers

We are continuing to waive the interest on the federal portion of Canada Student Loans and Canada Apprentice Loans.

Find our more about repayment of student loans click here


For information about support from the Province of British Columbia, please click here, or contact your local MLA.

Main office - Surrey
10362 King George Blvd Suite 170
Surrey, British Columbia
V3T 2W5


Show Map

Hill Office
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6


Show Map