Randeep Sarai
Randeep Sarai
Member of Parliament for Surrey Centre
Citizenship & Immigration FAQ's

The Impact of COVID-19 on IRCC services

How COVID-19 is affecting applications to visit, work or study in Canada

If you meet the criteria for the travel exemptions, and you want to apply to come to Canada, there are changes to the application process. Learn more.

You can travel to Canada only if you are exempt from the travel restrictions and are coming for an essential purpose.

Check processing times

Due to the impacts of COVID-19, IRCC is currently unable:

IRCC is prioritizing applications from

If you have an application in progress

If you want to apply to come to Canada

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Government of Canada has imposed entry restrictions at our borders. Foreign nationals, including United States (US) citizens, can travel to Canada only if they’re eligible. Restrictions vary depending on where you’re coming from.

Who is eligible to travel to Canada (evidence must be provided):

  1. Immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

To be eligible, you must provide evidence that

  1. If you’re staying for less than 15 days, you must meet the same requirements as all other foreign nationals.

All other foreign nationals - To be eligible, you must meet 2 requirements:

◦exempt from the travel restrictions

◦travelling directly from the US


A quarantine plan is mandatory. If you’re eligible to travel, you must have a quarantine plan that shows how you will quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada, including how you’ll:

Find out about travel restrictions and how to apply

*You can apply for a visitor visa or an eTA, even if you’re not eligible to travel at this time. If your application is approved, you must wait for the travel restrictions to end to travel to Canada.

For information on how COVID-19 is impacting IRCC services, please visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19.html



Frequently Asked Questions for applications or files with IRCC


Can you check the status of my application?                 

To contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and speak with a representative directly please call 1-888-242-2100 or www.cic.gc.ca to check your account.

A reminder for those who have applications within the processing time, please wait for your application to process before contacting our office. You can check current processing times here.

If your application has exceeded the regular processing time, my office can check for periodic status updates from IRCC on applications for the following categories


Can you write me a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) support letter?

TRV Support Letter Questions

  1. What is the purpose of the visit?
  2. How long will the visitor be staying in Canada?
  3. Has the visitor travelled before? Where have they been?
  4. Who will be paying for the flights and expenses while in Canada?
  5. Where does the visitor live? Do they own any property/assets?
  6. What does your visitor do for a living? What is the title of the position and for how long have they worked there?
  7. State specific reasons why your visitor must return to their home country after their visit. Do they have any obligations or commitments they must return to?
  8. Does your visitor have other family members in Canada? In their home country?
  9. Where will the visitor be staying during their visit?
  10. As the host, what do you do for a living? For how long have you been working in this capacity?
  11. Is there any additional information you would like us to include, or you think might be important to emphasize.


My application has been refused. What can you do to help me?

My office is limited in what we can do when an application has been returned or refused. We can find out more information and help you understand why exactly your application was refused. In most cases, depending on the government agency in question, there is an appeal process that is available to the constituent.


What happens if my PR card expires?

When your permanent resident (PR) card expires, you still have your PR status and can stay in Canada. You may still need your valid PR card for some services in your province.

If you leave the country, you’ll need a valid PR card to return to Canada by commercial vehicle. If you want to travel outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you can apply to renew or replace your card.


I submitted my application ___ months ago. I haven’t heard anything. Can you check the status of my application?

Please check the normal processing on IRCC’s website:


If your application is still within the processing time, you will need to wait for the application to process. If it’s been longer than the regular processing time, we are happy to check on the status.


My friend applied to the same application and their application has already been approved! Why is mine taking so long?

Every application is different. Some applications take longer than others and if it has passed the processing time, we are happy to check on it.


Visit https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/index-featured-can.asp to find answers to other frequently asked questions, including:

Main office - Surrey
10362 King George Blvd Suite 170
Surrey, British Columbia
V3T 2W5


Show Map

Hill Office
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6


Show Map